Sunday, October 2, 2016

Preaching to the Choir

Now I am not the person to be delivering this message.

I watch some R-rated movies.
I binge-watch shows on Netflix.
My standards when it comes to media are not where they should be.
And I know that. 

But at the same time I also am a fan of church movies.
I can pretty much quote every Liken the Scriptures movie.
I cry a ridiculous amount in the 17 Miracles movie (and every other pioneer movie for that matter)
And when I was a kid, Summer Naomi Smart was goals. 

So as someone who has seen both sides. 
Who really struggles with living in the world but not being of the world. 
I have a message to all future missionaries.

And this message is seriously humbling for me, don't think it isn't.
I have watched lots of friends prepare for missions. 
Each has a different way of doing things.
Different priorities before they leave. 

But one thing I have seen time and time again is that Satan is tempting them more than ever before. 
From the moment you decide to go on a mission the forces of hell are fighting against you. 
Cause you got lots of good to do my friends. 
And obviously, the forces of darkness don't want all that good to happen.
They are gonna pull out all the stops to stop you.

Now let me think...
If you are someone who is a good person.
(Obviously you are, you're spending your time reading mission blogs)
Someone who is trying to do what is right.
Satan isn't going to tempt you to get wasted.
Maybe he will, if that is something you struggle with. 
But he is typically going to go for the smaller things, to keep you from preparing and being ready. 
He is going to try and distract you. 

Hello Netflix. 
Hello Tumblr. 
Hello the whole public library.
Hello anything that distracts you. 
Anything that doesn't bring the spirit. 
Anything that will keep you from focusing on what matters most.
#goodbetterbest

At this moment I would like to raise my hand as one who is guilty.
So very, very guilty. 
Not gonna say which show I binge-watched on Netflix this weekend but I can promise it didn't bring the same spirit that Conference did. 

So.
When distractions come along.
When you are being sorely tempted.
When the devil sends forth his mighty winds. 
Yea, his shafts in the whirlwind. 
When all his hail, 
And his mighty storm shall beat upon you, 
What are you going to do?
#helaman5:12

You are planted in good soil.
You have a sturdy foundation.
But are you going to bend?


Right here and right now I am encouraging you to stand tall in the face of the storm. 
I believe in you.
And our Heavenly Father does too.

-Em


No comments:

Post a Comment